March 2015 Newsletter
We, Le COBDA, will be hosting St. Patrick’s Day Party.
Saturday, March 14, 2015
TIME: 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Please get to The Chicago Lighthouse by 10:45 AM
The Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL 60608
Anyone who has transportation arrangements, PLEASE have your ride ready by 2:30 PM, no later than 2:30 PM. Please be aware that we will be not assisting or waiting for anyone to leave after 2:30 PM. Thank you.
Lean Corned Beef
Seasoned Cabbage Wedges
Boiled White Potatoes
Rye Bread and Mustard
On a note, I kindly ask members, especially SSPs not to bring any guests and/or kids. Thanks.
Be sure to show up on time or a bit early; we appreciate your assistance.
Wednesday, March 11th.
It is important to know how much food to order. Please RSVP by March 11th.
Another note, late RSVPs are not accepted. If you show up at the meeting and do not RSVP, I would kindly ask you to pay the full price which would be 8 dollars.
Please have your money ready on the day of our meeting. We will collect money to pay for lunch.
Please contact Sara at email@example.com to RSVP.
Le COBDA President
Membership fees are due in May. Each member pays $15.00. Please see Sara the President or Jerrie the Treasurer for your renewal membership. Thanks!
Daylight Saving Time Begins:
Sunday, March 8, 2015, 2:00AM.
Remember to turn your clocks forward one hour.
District 1-A Lions Helen Keller 5K Fun Run/Walk
Date: April 26th, 2015
The website is http://e-district.org/sites/1a/page-11.php
Scholarships up to $3,000 for the Blind and Visually Impaired:
Blind Service Association is pleased to announce the 2015 Scholarship Program. Blind and Visually Impaired students are eligible for up to $3,000 in scholarship!
Qualified applicants will meet the following criteria:
- Legally blind resident of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will counties.
- Enrolled/accepted in an accredited undergraduate, graduate, vocational, technical or professional school.
- Full-time or part-time students for academic year 2015-16.
Applications require two letters of recommendations, academic transcripts, and personal statement from applicant, recent eye medical report, and Illinois State ID.
Blind Service Association wants to help students who have clear and realistic goals for their education and a track record of moving toward those goals.
For more information or for an application package call 312-236-0808 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The applications are available now. The deadline for receipt of application is April 1, 2015.
DeafBlind International (DBL) 16th World Conference in Bucharest, Romania
May 25-30, 2015
For more information go to www.dbi2015romania.com
Helpful safety tips from the Kane Legal Clinic.
We have been told by police that during this season it is necessary to take special care to secure your belongings while you are in public places. Theft is high and due to the amount of clothing we must wear, it is easy to lose belongings.
- Keep wallets securely placed in pockets or closed purses. Use front pockets rather than back one. Purses should be carried with the straps across your chest and should be closed.
- Carry only cash that you may need for immediate use.
- Leave credit cards at home if you do not need them.
- Instead of carrying your check book, bring one blank check in your wallet and keep track of its number.
- Keep your social security card at home unless it is specifically needed.
- Make a list of the cards in your wallet such as credit, Ventra, and ID cards with necessary contact phone numbers and addresses. Keep a copy of this both at home and with you so you can report lost or stolen cards quickly.
Please share these tips with people without e-mail.
February Meeting Attendees:
Sara C, Catherine K, Jerrie L, and Lori E, Joann R, Veramarie B, Bryen Y, Evie and Jeff B, James K, Vivian H, Lauren H, Julie S and her mom Maureen D (interpreter), Doris M, Etta S, Josephine D, Will L, Katherine O, Linda T, Darlene J, Lorraine and Jacob P, Samuel H, Virginia H, Javier A, Kerry L, Ganna T, Dawn H, Yvette H, Bill H, Dee W, Camille P, Suzanne S, Jason S, Torrance F, Roge R, Alma M, Darrell W, Brian H, Jasmine L, Charita, Elizabeth, Barbara C, Bertha R, Ron E, and Maria R.